While I definitely remember getting store-bought Valentine's as a kid, I also remember loving to hand make Valentine's for my friends. I used to turn on some good music or a movie and get all my paper and stickers and pens out and just create for hours. I've always been a sucker for anything handmade, so I thought I'd give it a whirl with my oldest son.
These handmade animal envelopes really are so simple. It took me probably 5 minutes to do one with my son. We used 12" square card stock paper so they would be big enough to hold a few little goodies! And what's great about these is you can really make them into whatever you want. Dinosaurs with sharp teeth, princesses with tiaras, aliens with antennas, the options are endless. Slip a sweet note, some candy and a couple of little toys inside and it's the perfect little something for classmates or neighbors!
- 12"x12" cardstock paper (I just got a big pack from Michael's!) for envelopes
- googly eyes
- more cardstock paper for ears, tongue, etc
- glue (glue stick or hot glue)
- Start by making your envelopes. Fold 3 of the 4 corners of your 12x12 cardstock paper into the center and fasten with glue. Gently fold the 4th corner and crease the fold, but don't fasten (this is your envelope flap!).
- Cut some ears, tongue and whatever else you want out of cardstock. Using the glue, secure the ears to the top on the back (so they poke out like ears!) and add your eyes and whatever else you would like.
- Using a marker, draw a mouth, whiskers, etc to complete your little envelope animal!
- Fill with all kinds of goodies for friends!