Some of my fondest Fall memories as a kid involve being curled up in a cozy blanket by a bonfire while sipping on hot apple cider. There is just something about hearing the crackle of the fire, feeling the warmth on my face, and tasting the delicious, cinnamon, apple, spiced cider that makes it truly feel like Fall.
Now that I'm older, mama needs a little somethin' to spice it up a bit. My husband has always been a major bourbon fan and I find that it goes perfectly with the flavors in apple cider. You can either add your bourbon straight to the big batch of cider, or you can add bourbon to each drink individually. If you aren't a bourbon fan but still want it spiked, spiced rum is a pretty fantastic alternative.
This recipe does make quite a bit, so it's perfect for giving to neighbors or making for a fun fall get together. If you are planning a Halloween party, this is the perfect drink for it! Cheer, friends!!
BOURBON APPLE CIDER WITH HOMEMADE WHIPPED CREAM
- 1 gallon organic apple juice
- 1 large orange, cut into 1/4" thick slices
- 3 cinnamon sticks
- 4 star anise
- 1 tablespoon whole cloves
- 1 tablespoon whole allspice
- 1 cup bourbon*
*you can always leave this out and individually put 1oz bourbon in each glass.
*spiced rum is also a great alternative if you don't like bourbon!
- 1 pint heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- To a crockpot, add the apple juice, orange slices, cinnamon sticks, star anise, cloves, and allspice. Turn on high for 3 hours.
- Once the apple cider is done, you can add 11/2 cup bourbon now, or you can leave it out and individually add 1oz bourbon to each glass.
- Remove the spices and fruit from the apple cider.
- To make the whipped cream, fit a stand mixer with the whisk attachment and add all of the whipped cream ingredients. Start on low speed and increase to high as it firms up. Beat for 60-90 seconds on high speed until stiff peaks form.
- After pouring apple cider into a glass, you can either dollop the whipped cream on top with a spoon or you can use a piping bag to pipe the whipped cream on top of the apple cider.
- Sprinkle with some cinnamon and serve!