Raise your hand if your favorite Christmas tradition growing up was to put milk and cookies out for Santa - that'd be me, y'all. Even after my parents broke the news to me that Santa was not real, I still loved leaving out milk and cookies and even a hand written note (you're welcome, dad).
This candy cane cookie recipe is the perfect Santa cookie or just a wonderful festive cookie for a Christmas party or neighbor gift. There are a couple of tricks that will help make this easier for you: 1. Chill the dough. It can get a little flimsy if it's not chilled which can make it more difficult to roll and twist, so make sure you chill your dough beforehand. 2. Put the sugar/crushed peppermint mixture in the food processor to make it really fine, then sprinkle it on the cookies straight out of the oven so it sticks.
The sugar cookie dough mixed with the extra flavors of the crushed peppermint and sugar on top is so. good. y'all. Whether you're making these for your family, friends or Santa himself, they are sure to be a hit! Scroll down for the full recipe!
CANDY CANE COOKIES
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 large egg, room temperature
- 1 1/2 teaspoons almond extract
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon red food coloring
- 1/2 cup peppermint candy, crushed
- 1/2 cup sugar
- In a large bowl, cream the shortening, butter and confectioners' sugar until light and fluffy, 5-7 minutes. Beat in egg and extracts. Combine flour and salt; gradually add to the creamed mixture. Divide dough in half; mix the food coloring into 1 portion. Cover and refrigerate both doughs for 2 hours or until easy to handle.
- Shape 1 teaspoon plain dough into a 4-in. rope. Shape 1 teaspoon red dough into a 4-in. rope. Place ropes side by side; press together lightly and twist. Place on an ungreased baking sheet curve top of cookie down to form handle of cane. Repeat with remaining plain and red dough, placing cookies 2 in. apart on baking sheets.
- Bake at 375° for 8-9 minutes or until set. Place the candy cane and sugar in a food processor and pulse until it's very fine. Sprinkle the mixture onto cookies straight out of the oven. Remove to wire racks to cool.