Confession: I don't think I had ever made ice cream sandwiches until I made these. Had I eaten them? Duh. Made them? No. They always seems so hard to make, so I never wanted to try! BUT. These were so much easier than I anticipated and they are delicious.
In my opinion, a good ice cream sandwich has the perfect ratio of cookie to ice cream and the cookies aren't crunchy, they are chewy. This recipe is perfection. To get the perfect amount of ice cream (and a perfectly round little ice cream disc), I let the ice cream soften a bit and then dumped it on a baking sheet and spread it out. I popped it in the freezer to harden again and then cut it out with a circular cookie cutter the same size as my cookies (you can also use the rim of a glass!). Sandwhich the ice cream discs between the perfectly chewy funfetti cookies and holy tastebuds, friend. SO. GOOD.
These make the perfect refreshing treat after a long day of playing in the sun and the funfetti makes them just about the happiest ice cream sandwiches I've ever seen.
FUNFETTI ICE CREAM SANDWICHES
- 1 stick salted butter, softened
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp white vinegar
- ½ an egg (see note below)
- 1 cup + 2 Tbsp all-purpose flour
- ½ tsp baking soda
- Pinch of salt
- 1/3 cup sprinkles
- 4 cups vanilla bean ice cream
Note: whisk 1 egg in a bowl and measure out 2 tablespoons - that's 1/2 an egg!
MAKE THE COOKIES:
- In a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream softened butter until creamy.
- Add the sugars and mix until creamed with the butter.
- Mix in the vanilla, vinegar, and egg until just combined.
- Add the flour, baking soda, and salt and mix until just combined. Fold in the sprinkles with a spatula.
- Over the dough with saran wrap and chill the dough for at least 1 hour.
PREP THE ICE CREAM:
- While the dough chills, prep the ice cream. Let a tub of vanilla ice cream sit out to soften a little.
- Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper and spread 4ish cups of ice cream onto the prepared cookie sheet.
- Place in the freezer to freeze back up.
BAKE THE COOKIES:
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- With your hands, roll cookie dough into 12 evenly-sized balls.
- Place them onto a baking sheet and bake for 8 minutes. They may look a bit underdone and that's ok! They will set a bit more as they cool. You want them to be a bit chewy for ice cream sandwiches.
ASSEMBLE ICE CREAM SANDWICHES:
- Once the cookies are completely cool, find something in your kitchen to use to cut circles in the ice cream. You want it to be the same size as your cookies. I had a circle cookie cutter that was the same size as the cookies. you could also use the rim of a glass, biscuit cutter, etc.
- Place an ice cream round in between two cookies. You can either enjoy right away or stick them in the freezer in an airtight container for up to a week.