Am I the only one that keeps adding little festive things here and there throughout the holiday season? I'm a sucker for simple, cute decor and this garland adds the perfect amount of holiday cheer while being one of the easiest things to create.
I used a star cookie cutter to cut out the stars, but you could also trace and use a knife to cut if you don't have a star cutter. I also chose to use faux greenery because that's what I had on hand, but real evergreen would be gorgeous! I snagged these white jingle bells off Amazon and I'm obsessed. They have kind of an old-school bell vibe that I'm a sucker for.
One important thing to note: make sure when you are peeling your oranges, scrape off as much of the orange as possible so it's just the peel. This way, when the peel dries, it still looks great and there is less chance of it molding over time.
You can customize this any way you like! Use a different holiday cookie cutter, change up the pattern - the options are endless here. Look below for the materials I used as well as the directions! It's so easy, y'all. Put on your favorite Christmas movie and craft away!
- 3 large naval oranges
- Sprigs of evergreen (faux or real)
- Knife for peeling oranges
- Star cookie cutter
- Something to punch a hole (I actually used a metal straw and it worked perfectly!
- White jingle bells
- Using a sharp knife, peel large chunks off of the oranges (you want the chunks to be big enough for your cookie cutter). Use your cookie cutter to punch star shapes out of the orange peel. You may need to use a mallet to get them to punch all the way through, but I was able to use my hand!
- Using a metal straw or hole punch, punch a hole in the middle of each star.
- Using your twine, string it through the center of the star. I chose to wrap the twine around and through the hole a few times and then tie at the top - you can string it through however you want! String your jingle bells and greenery through and tie those off as well to keep them in place.
- String on as many as you like until you have the length you desire! Hang and enjoy!