Where on earth did Summer go, you guys? While the past few months have sometimes seemed to crawl by, I can hardly believe that summer is coming to an end, kids are starting school, and Fall is just around the corner. Don’t get me wrong, I’m ready for cooler weather, cozy sweaters and all the pumpkin spice lattes, but I think one last end-of-summer “cheers!” is in order.
This roasted strawberry & vanilla ice cream float is summer in a glass. Sweet and tangy strawberries, caramelized in the oven, and mixed with the rich taste of vanilla ice cream is what summer dreams are made of. You can even get fancy and throw in a different flavor ice cream (chocolate ice cream would be delish!). It’s the perfect way to welcome the kids home after school or the perfect post-dinner dessert during the last toasty Summer days. Snag the recipe below and let us know how you celebrate Summer’s end with your family!
ROASTED STRAWBERRY ICE CREAM SODA FLOAT
- 1lb fresh strawberries
- 4 tbsp honey, divided
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
- 2-3 cups sparkling water (I chose Topo Chico)
- 1 pint vanilla ice cream
- Preheat oven to 425º and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Halve the strawberries and place them in a bowl with 2 tbsp of honey, lemon juice, and vanilla extract. Toss strawberries to coat. Place strawberry halves face down on baking sheet and put in the oven. Roast for 20-25 minutes, rotating pan halfway through until berries are tender and juices are beginning to caramelize.
- Transfer berries into a food processor or blender. Add remaining 2 tablespoons honey and blend into a puree. Transfer to a bowl, cover with plastic wrap and put in the refrigerator to cool completely.
- To make the soda, use a ratio of 1 part strawberry puree to 2 parts sparkling water (for example, 1 cup puree to 2 cups sparkling water). Stir to combine. Reserve any extra puree to place at the bottom of each glass.
- To assemble your floats, drop a few spoonfuls of puree at the bottom of each glass, add your ice cream (I did about 2 big scoops per glass), pour strawberry soda on top, and serve with spoons and straws!